Monday, October 24, 2011

Ben Bit the Big One?


About three years ago, a stray cat- barely a year old herself- took up residence in our back yard.  We had gotten rid of our indoor cat due to my youngest son being dreadfully allergic to cats.  Unfortunately, he loves cats very much and seems to be sort of a cat magnet in our neighborhood.  So anyway, it became obvious before long that this stray was pregnant.  Now, I’m not sure what the gestational period for a feline is, but it seemed like only days from the time she started showing before there were five little kittens running through our back yard and she was true to form for a momma cat- off and gone leaving the kittens to fend for themselves.  They all made it through the summer, but as fall approached the most loved one, Beautiful (I didn’t name them), was hit by a car and we found her lying along side of the road with that familiar smushed look.  Several months thereafter, Muffin Berry (I didn’t name the cats) was found frozen along side of our car parked in front of the house, leaving Tuff, Benny, and Shylow (you know!). Shylow went to the pound as a consequence to my kids because they followed her out of the yard and into the alley behind the houses and crossed the street in an unabashed violation of our don’t leave the yard rule.  This leaving Benny and Tuff.  I discovered in the spring that Tuff, much like her mother before her, was starting to show, and because I didn't want to relive this saga over again with a fresh litter of kittens, I took her to the pound as well.  That left Benny.

Benny was the runt of the litter, smaller than all of the rest, one ear bent down and the other sticking up in an almost permanent unbalanced look.  His voice was always scratchy, like he was sickly and about to die, and his naturally smooth stride was interrupted with a limp from a crooked leg that had been broken because my son fell on him while carrying him when he was a kitten.  We have all grown very fond of the scratchy meow he makes while trying to sneak into the house as you open the door to leave.  He has made it through two winters, many a turf defending fight, and a whole lot of tough love from my sons.  As I left for work today, I noticed in the middle of 3rd Street just off of Topeka Blvd the familiar look of road kill, but this road kill had gray colored long fur and a white belly just as Benny did.  I circled back around to make certain, and even though it is difficult to tell when you can’t see the face, I was pretty sure my fears had been realized. I called my wife to give her the bad news and both of our hearts sank.  Our kids will be very sad. While walking through the Home Depot getting some bids for my window business, I began to think of life lessons from Benny’s short life, and I would like to convey just a couple here.

First off, there is the obvious lesson that the most popular, the fastest, and the best looking  are not necessarily the ones chosen to live the longest, most fulfilled existence.  Even King David was chosen to rule the nation of Israel after all of his other brothers who were stronger, better looking and bigger had been passed over.  God loves to use the foolish things by this world’s standard to confound the wise.  

Secondly, there is the unconditional love factor.  Benny was proof to me that my kids had the capacity to love unconditionally even when they played too rough with him, and he would bite one of them in self defense, they still didn’t get mad. 

Thirdly, he had been to me an example of loyalty.  Every time I came home, almost without fail, he would be there on the porch to meow at me as I would recite to him our own personal catch phrase, “How you been, Ben?”

But the most serious lesson to me was the one the Lord whispered to my heart- that people are far more important than animals.  He lovingly encouraged me to remember to have compassion and empathy for the hurting, abused and broken that cross my path each and every day in our great city. Because He died for them, too. 

After leaving the store I decided to take some time off to bury Benny with my kids' help and use the moment as a teachable moment for my kids regarding the brevity of life.  As I drove toward home, I received a call from my wife, whom I expected to break this horrible news to my kids because moms are just good at that sort of thing.  She said that she had looked out the window towards the smushed gray mass in the street and couldn’t tell for sure if it was Benny when she noticed Benny sitting on the rail of the front porch, guarding his turf and looking all noble.  The last lesson God showed me was be careful not to make assumptions before having all of the facts.  The road kill, on closer inspection, seems to be a rabbit. If you know any one missing a large gray and white rabbit around the 3rd and Topeka area you might forward this blog to them.  Have a blessed day.               

No comments:

Post a Comment