Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Let Compassion Be Your Guide


I received this testimony from a friend who recently visited the church my wife and I are planting here in Topeka.  Hope it encourages you. I thought it was an excellent example of being the church.  "Received a call from Sandy Slater, at the Topeka SRS building today about a man who was living in his pickup truck suffering from severe anxiety. Being nearby, I was able to locate this vehicular homeless gentleman along with my volunteer, and talk with him, offering services. Listened to this man for about 30min. During the conversation he went to his truck and pulled out a Jehovah's Witness Watch Tower publication and he advised that he grew up as a Jehovah's Witness and that he was in a laundry matt in Topeka and picked up that publication and it made him feel good. I could see that the man was searching again in his life. I told the man that we had something in common with each other and it was God and asked him if he could see that, and he said yes. I mentioned that he must believe in prayer and he said yes, and I offered to pray. In prayer, we asked Jesus to bring healing to his anxiety, his nerves, his shaking and to the heaviness in his chest that kept him from breathing, thanking Jesus, and ending the prayer in Jesus' name. My volunteer Kenneth Oldridge, noticed the man's speech slowed down. I also offered to take him to a facility in Topeka that could assist him with any medical or medications he may need, since I am a collaboration promoter for multiple agencies in Topeka. He followed us to the facility I recommended. In the counselor’s office, the man relayed his story of coming to Topeka, his anxiety, his struggles. Then the man mentioned to the counselor that he ran into nice people today that wanted to help him and then he held up his hands and noticed that they were no longer shaking. He was calm. The counselor asked why he had stopped shaking and he told her that it was the prayer and it was Jesus that had calmed him. He is not sleeping in his truck tonight in a big Wal-Mart parking lot. He is sleeping in a home, with a bed and meals. This is what it is like to minister in love to anyone, to include a vehicular homeless Jehovah’s Witness. God does not discriminate. Minister in love, by loving God, and loving your neighbor (the one in front of you) as you love yourself, or as you would want to be treated. Seal it in the name of Jesus; sign His name at the end of your day. We have an encounter with God, to bring a tangible encounter of God to the one in front of us. This is how God is bringing his Glory to Earth, through us anywhere in the city at any time; Heaven invading Earth. Yay God!"  Have a blessed day my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment